Red Dye # 40 causes erratic behavior

I learned that Red Dye #40 in food possibly causes erratic behavior in some people with autism as well as people with typical brains. I was working with a child that I do not usually work with. I came in to help her out with math. She was sitting on her chair hiding her face in her legs, when I wrote to her to sit correctly, she started screaming and crossing her eyes. She then jumped off of her chair and started hoping around the room like a frog. The class was told to come to the floor to listen to the teacher. She went to the floor but started spitting on the ground. I told her this is not acceptable behavior and she said to me laughing "Is it completely terrible?" So I sent her back to her seat. She sat in her seat for a minute then started running around laughing. She would not respond to anything, I or her teacher was saying, so i picked her up and took her to the nurses office. I was fearing that she was having some sort of seizure. She was calm in the office. The nurse took her temperature and it was 100.3 so she laid in the office for the rest of the day, since her mom was too far away to pick her up before the buses arrived. The next day her mom said the behavior was most likely caused by the red dye #40 in the pasta sauce she had that day. Now I am not completely sure that this is the true cause but it is an interesting theory.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.